Advertisements
/, Uncategorized/What is Guillain-Barre syndrome?

What is Guillain-Barre syndrome?

Advertisements
By |2018-08-28T08:34:09+00:00May 1st, 2016|2016, Uncategorized|26 Comments

About the Author:

Author of Happily Ever After - My Journey with Guillain-Barre Syndrome and How I Got My Life Back.

26 Comments

1. Amy Ayers May 2, 2018 at 11:50am05 - Reply

There are so many autoimmune diseases. I have Multiple Sclerosis. I was reading this blog and could not believe how close it is the MS, the difference being it affecting the peripheral nervous system (the nerves that are not a part of the spinal cord or brain) where as MS is the spinal cord or brain being affected. Some people progress slowly while others progress quite fast. I am very happy to here you have recovered and thank you so much for sharing your story.

• hollyaftergbs May 11, 2018 at 11:50am05 - Reply

Yes! You are so right! As someone that never really experienced health issues before GBS, I have come to learn so much about auto immune diseases. GBS is very similar to MS, only that it tends to be a one time episode vs. MS which can be multiple. But when people ask me what GBS is I usually say it’s similar to MS. Hope you are doing well and able to manage your MS ❤️

2. kathleen lupo May 11, 2017 at 11:50pm05 - Reply

God Bless You Holly, & lets not leave out your beautiful husband, & family & friends. Can’t imagine what they went through. Up & on to bigger & better things for all. You have been blessed.

3. Shari May 8, 2017 at 11:50pm05 - Reply

I just had neck surgery and am bothered by the scar…now I feel silly after seeing what she
    went through. My best friends daughter has CIDP which is the chronic version- she is only 12 and has treatments every month to keep it at bay. So scary!

4. Anonymous May 7, 2017 at 11:50pm05 - Reply

Great article. My mom was ones that did not not recover . She has been a quadraplegic for 18 years. I think your article is accurate- but I still can not read it without crying.

• hollyaftergbs September 5, 2017 at 11:50pm09 - Reply

I am so sorry to hear that your mother did not recover. This illness is so devastating especially when it leaves someone in a wheelchair. I do hope that she is living life to the fullest in any way that she is able to, and does not let her disability hold her back. It is so key to a happy life!!

5. Amy Daly May 2, 2017 at 11:50am05 - Reply

P.S. I do hope to write off this experience again.

6. Amy Daly May 2, 2017 at 11:50am05 - Reply

I read your story and wasn’t sure how you knew my story. As I began it sounded as if I were listening to myself speak. Something happened am not sure what but I felt I I was finally able to see me in print. My experience was severe. I laid in ICU for 8 weeks. Three attempts for me to breathe on my own and battling my arms to say “let me go let me die.” I was paralyzed from my waist down. My arms and hands were weak but we’re enough at last attempt they figured out what I was trying to say and couldn’t. One last attempt and God began to allow my body to breathe. Afterwards I amazedeveryone. I began to talk, eat and finally a chance to walk within days. Amazed were drs staff it seemed for a moment the world. I was moved to a rehabilitation to ask I call it to “fine tune” my skills. And it was over, I had survived this “thing” you call GBS. I have walking abilities of only short distances, minor paralysis here and there and a weak body and abilities but well here I am. “This is me what’s left.” Lol

• hollyaftergbs March 30, 2018 at 11:50pm03 - Reply

I am so happy to hear you are doing better ! I hope you enjoyed the book ❤️

7. Anonymous August 27, 2016 at 11:50am08 - Reply

Great Read~! I had GBS too.
    guillainbarrerecovery.blogspot.com

8. Pete Hutt May 6, 2016 at 11:50am05 - Reply

Hi
    I have just read your posting regarding GBS. Very well written and so many points hit home.
    I contracted GBS on hol in Australia 2006. I’m from England. I was ill before with flu sore throat and week after was getting pins and needles and loss of balance.
    The local GP said it was reaction to penicillin which I took for throat. On my 2nd visit to hospital where I could hardly walk they took one look at me and rushed me into A&E hooked me up to ECG asked lots of questions and got the neurologist in as he was at home then to talk to me run tests. That’s when I 1st heard of GBS. He said I had the Miller Fisher variant which also affects balance. From there I went to ICU for 2 days with respiratory, blood pressure checks every 15 mins thru night I also had 20 bottles of plasma dripped into me for next 4 days. Oh I had MRI and an acupuncture as well. After a week on High risk ward I was consider ok enough to be moved to rehab n start to learn to walk again. I spent 3 weeks there before under medical insurance I was flown home 1st class with nurse on board to continue my rehab.
    I met and talked to a few others who had GBS one chap had it 2 years before and was still in splints and receiving rehab. I learnt from these people and neurologist that it’s the speed the myelin sheath is stripped away ie with the chap I’ve just mentioned his went overnight, mine took longer n so was more gradual so I was able to get treatment before it had completely gone.
    One of the hardest things and you mentioned it was you go down with GBS before you come up, my sister and mum where making plans to fly out to Oz n I remember the conv with my sister as if it was yesterday when she asked me, look are you getting better or worse, as we need to get tickets. At the back of my mind I thought I’d turned the corner, said give me the weekend I’ll have an answer. By end of weekend I was well enough to start my rehab so I was right.
    On returning to England I continued my rehab I was in a wheelchair for flight back. Took about 3 months to be somewhere back to normal. I still get the tingling in my feet n hands sometimes not sure if this is as a result of GBS.

I was very interested to read your experience with GBS and your thoughts. It isn’t that well known illness. Thanks for posting.

9. Karen Ames May 3, 2016 at 11:50pm05 - Reply

Very well written and said. From a fellow sufferer.

10. Anonymous May 3, 2016 at 11:50am05 - Reply

Had it. Although not as severe as this blog.,long time to recover.
    Scary stuff

11. Anonymous May 3, 2016 at 11:50am05 - Reply

Hey hello I am a patient of GBS and your article is very informative.

12. Linda Noland Crane May 2, 2016 at 11:50pm05 - Reply

Wonderful explanation and account of a puzzling and challenging syndrome. I knew about this b/c I worked in a big hospital yrs ago as a medical interpreter. My mother was challenged with transverse myeltis in 1945, at the age of 21, married less than 2 weeks. Coma, Iron lung, typhoid
    therapy’ to stop the virus. but similar effects. She wore braces for years. but was a pioneer in so many ways. For 1, she had several children! Me being the first, much to consternation of her dr. She has some serious paralysis in her limbs. She also lived a full life to 88 passing a few years ago. painting and computing til the very end, so sharp and a great inspiration to so many. We did physical therapy every day, my earliest memories. bless you.

13. Anonymous May 2, 2016 at 11:50pm05 - Reply

I had this when I was in my 20s, nearly 40 years ago. It took almost a year before I was off medications and doing better. I still have never regained the energy levels from before I got sick. The issue than became what other autoimmune disorders are in the future. I developed lymphoma when I was 54 and also got through that after 6 months of treatments. People who have autoimmune disorders should be aware that they may develop other disorders in the future, so taking good care yourself is VITALLY important . Thanks for sharing this.

14. Hazel L. Riggs May 2, 2016 at 11:50pm05 - Reply

Thank you for sharing this. My daughter experienced GBS in like manner (severity -/treatment was the same) 3 years ago. She is now walking on her own but has not regained feeling in her lower legs and feet so she has to be careful when walking. She was hospitalized for 5 months. Most of her treatment took place at The Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia. It is a wonderful place for patient and family.

15. Anonymous May 2, 2016 at 11:50pm05 - Reply

25 years ago my mom was diagnosed with gbs, this is the first artical/blog that i have read that completly explains the horror that this illness is. We are still living with the residual effects to this day.

16. Victoria May 2, 2016 at 11:50am05 - Reply

Great job here, Holly! Brought me to tears and flashbacks. I am so happy for you and your life and pray you continue to do so well. You are a remarkable woman! ❤️

17. chickenunderwear May 2, 2016 at 11:50am05 - Reply

Greetings. I included your blog in my website. It’s a list of first-person accounts of people who are battling GPS and its variants.

18. Anonymous May 2, 2016 at 11:50am05 - Reply

Thank you for this Blog. My wife got GBS in 2007 and is still being treated. Thank the Lord it was not as critical as your case but, she is still affected by damaged nerves in her feet and her hands. Also she use to walk a mile in 18 min. and now she can’t walk half that distance.

19. Rex May 2, 2016 at 11:50am05 - Reply

I love everything you have posted here and wish you well , i’m still dealing with alot of issues myself and GBS suks .

20. Linda McDonald May 2, 2016 at 11:50am05 - Reply

Hi Holly
    I have read your book and could relate well with your journey. I got GBS in Dec 2014 while we were visiting our daughter in New Jersey. I will share your story as I also like to be able to give people detailed information. Take care. Cheers Linda

21. Anonymous May 1, 2016 at 11:50am05 - Reply

Holly,
    This is by far the most informative information I have ever read about GBS!
    Thank you so much for sharing!
    Sharona Sands